The Federalist Society, McCarter & English, and Commonwealth Shakespeare Company
Shakespeare and the Law 2019
Belief and the Burden of Proof through the Lens of Six of the Bard's Plays
The Boston Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society, McCarter & English, and Commonwealth Shakespeare Company (CSC), present the 16th Annual Shakespeare and the Law Program. This year's program takes on the themes of belief and the burden of proof through the lens of six of Shakespeare’s plays, Cymbeline, Hamlet, Henry IV, Part 1, Julius Caesar, Measure for Measure and Othello. Following a staged reading of brief scenes from each of the plays, judges, prosecutors, attorneys, activists and commentators will discuss and debate how allegations of impropriety should be measured and judged in the courtroom, the workplace, the college campus, and the Congressional hearing room. The panel discussion will be moderated by Jennifer Braceras and Judge Nancy Gertner.
- Samantha Harris - Vice President, Procedural Advocacy for the Foundation for Individual Rights (FIRE)
- Wendy Kaminer - Author, Lawyer and Social Critic
- Jennifer Braceras - Senior Fellow, Independent Women’s Forum; Former Commissioner of the United States Commission on Civil Rights (2001-2007)
- Justice Judith Cowin - Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (retired)
- Judge Nancy Gertner - U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts (Retired)
- Judge Timothy Hillman - U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Jeff Jacoby - Columnist, Boston Globe
- Andrew Lelling - U.S. Attorney for the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Joan Lukey - Choate Hall & Stewart LLP
- Judge George O’Toole - U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Chief Judge Patti Saris - U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Judge F. Dennis Saylor - U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Judge Douglas Woodlock - U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Judge Rya Zobel - U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Judge Nancy Gertner (retired) & Jennifer Braceras
- Adam Sanders - Associate Artistic Director, Commonwealth Shakespeare Company
- Daniel J. Kelly - Partner, McCarter & English; Chairman, Boston Lawyers Chapter
$10 - General Admission
Free - Dues Paying Federalist Society Members.
(discount code sent via email)
Click HERE to register.
*Seating is limited. Please email Sarah Landeene, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any cancellations.